Freeport Water and Sewer Commission
Please use rear entrance located at the parking lot of the 524 Building for City Hall business.
Water and Sewer Drop Box is located in the rear of the 524 Building use Green Street north parking lot entrance
UTILITY BILL OPTIONS
1. Do nothing and you will continue to receive a paper bill.
2. View my bill online
3. Pay my bill online
• Auto-Pay Online — Financial institution checking account.
(FREE. No convenience fees.) Call 1-815-233-0111 to set up.
• E-Pay Online — Credit and debit cards ONLY.
(Fees starting at $1.00 and up per transaction)
• Pay Online — Credit and debit cards, and electronic checking
($2.99 fee per transaction.)
4. Pay my bill with a phone call to 1-877-885-7968
($2.99 fee per transaction)
ORDINANCE #2015-25, An Ordinance Amending Chapter 1052 (Water and Sewer Capital Improvement Fund) of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Freeport, Illinois as passed by corporate authorities on May 4, 2015 to add $6.00 per month to the Captital Improvement Surcharge - view link
ORDINANCE #2015-09 as passed by corporate authorities on February 2, 2015 - view link
Posted January 22, 2015
Public comment is invited with regard to the proposed Project Plan prepared by the City of Freeport, and a Notice of Categorical Exclusion from Detailed Environmental Review prepared by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
1. Purpose of the Project. The purpose of this Project is to make water system improvements, including an estimated 21,080 feet of water main upgrades to 12” and 16” diameter in key areas that would provide adequate water transmission lines from the new Well No. 9 to the new Elevated Tank and improvements to pressure zones, including the replacement of 10,310 feet of 6-8 inch water main and the replacement of 75 valves. The project will be funded through a loan from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) and the project cost is estimated to be $7,967,100.
2. Review of Documents. The Notice of Intent to Issue a Categorical Exclusion and the Project Plan are available for public viewing at Freeport City Hall, located at 524 West Stephenson Street, Freeport, Illinois 61032. Persons can view them during normal business hours at the City Clerk's office on the 3 rd floor between now and the end of the public comment period which is ten (10) days from this notice. View Map of Proposed Project Area
3. Public Comment Period. During this comment period (10 days), written comments may be provided to the City of Freeport or directly to the IEPA. Contact information for the City and IEPA is provided below.
Unless new information is provided during this comment period, the IEPA will approve the planning for this project at the close of the public comment period.
Dated at Freeport, Illinois this Thursday, January 22, 2015.
James Gitz, Mayor
The following documents are provided in PDF format:
Request for Proposals and Bid Tabulations posted by
In 1937, the city bought the water system and established a commission headquartered in City Hall. This has lead to the management of three elevated tanks, six wells, 28,000 customers, and 120 miles of mains. Currently, over 4 million gallons of water, is pumped through the mains daily.
The earliest sewer system of Freeport dumped untreated sewage into the Pecatonica River. In 1934, Freeport was warned by the state that a treatment plant must be built.
In 1968, over 5 million dollars was raised through grants and bond sales to fund the project. The project included five new lift stations, treatment plant expansion and a pilot research program.
In 1999, the wastewater plant is about to be expanded again with new treatment equipment, processes, and upgrades. This $12 million dollar project will help to keep the wastewater plant running smoothly for the next 20 years.
The Water and Sewer Commission has provided water since 1937 and sewer since 1939, and we will carry the city proudly and safely well into the next millennium.
Freeport City Hall